Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sigh, Controversial topic ahead.

Yesterday at church, we got the baby talk.  Now, when it comes from church, 9 times out of 10 its all about how abortion and other such life altering procedures are wrong.  Most church officials you come across are very conservative and that's just what they are going to believe.  This little "chat" was no different. 

First, our priest talked about abortion.  Its fairly safe to say I'm against this as well.  I know there are some extenuating circumstances and I understand that.  If its done, I'm not going to judge you.  But overall, I was adopted, so that's generally the way I say you should go. 

That's not what annoys me though about the baby talk.  What drives me crazy is all the talk about how surrogates are a sin and in vitro fertilization and other such procedures are a sin.  Give me a break!  I can't tell you how many parents there are out there who were unable to have children without these medical miracles.  I believe that there are tons of great people out there who deserve the chance to have their own children if it is possible.  These procedures make it possible!  If I could not have children of my own, I would certainly consider in vitro.  If I knew someone close to me who could not carry a pregnancy but still wanted a chance to have a child of their own genes, you bet I'd be willing to be a surrogate!

The priest also talked about extreme situations where parents choose the genes of their child so that they would look a certain way or be a certain gender and again how it is a sin.  Sin or not, I do think this is a little crazy.  I wouldn't want to choose the way my child will look or what gender they'll be.  That's half the fun of having a baby!  Who will the child look like?  You get to watch your baby grow up to find out!  As for the gender, I settled a long time before we started trying for kids that if I didn't have a girl naturally, eventually I would adopt.  I wasn't going to go through some long genetic process to try and have a girl.  There are loads of children all over the world waiting to be adopted, both born and unborn.  Being adopted myself, it seemed like the logically solution.  Now, we know I've already had a girl but I still love the idea of adopting. 

Going to church, these are just some of the things you're going to hear about that you may not agree with.  Many of my friends are definitely not conservative and I'm sure have experienced the same thing.  None of this is going to change my spiritual beliefs, whether they align with the church or not.  Whenever there's talk about something I don't necessarily agree with, I smile and stay attentive, because when they're preaching its what you do :). 

No comments:

Post a Comment