Monday, December 13, 2010

December brings colds (every stinking year)

I can safely say that having a cold while pregnant sucks.  You're very limited in the meds you can take, and the ones you can take, you can only use for a certain amount of time.  I've reached my limit for Affrin, which was the only thing keeping my nasal passage clear over night.  BOO.  I also have been having trouble breathing in the mornings.  Usually, for me, that means this is going into an infection.  This usually happens when I get a cold because I normally don't drug up much when I get sick unless I absolutely have to.  Not because I hate taking meds, but more because I'm lazy and forget. 

I've called my OB's nurses for advice and am waiting for a call back.  Although, the more I think about it, I have no idea what they're going to tell me.  I've tried everything I can try and its working somewhat.  I just worry that if I let this go for too long (it has been 4 days so far), then its going to be more harmful that I can't breathe and have allowed myself to get an infection.  So,  I need to be told what other secret measures I can take to make this go away.  It also doesn't help that I'm loosing energy and Bella just won't have that.  She may be sick right now as well, but I think that she'll be able to kick this bug soon, then I'm in for a world of hurt!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I think I've told you this one before, but it really helps: 1 Tbs. honey with 1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar. It's yucky, but it's fantastic for congestion!!!!

klcalder said...

Hehe, yup I remember you mentioning that disgusting sounding combo. And ya know, I'm about to the point that that may be my only choice because I'm not taking any meds that will hurt this kiddo. I was using Affrin, but you can only use it for a couple of days. Now its all moving into my chest. So, I'm using a little bit of vicks rub at night. I really want this hot tea that's mostly cinnamon. The spice clears the sinuses and makes you feel better, at least enough to rest. However, you have to buy it online to get decaf.

Long story short, I may be making a trip to the grocery store later. Vicks can only do so much.

Post a Comment