Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I heart Discovery Health!

I have a slight obsession.  I blame my mom for this obsession, as she tends to read A LOT of medical articles on the Internet.  Steve thinks I'm crazy because of this obsession.  What is it?  I watch health shows.  A lot of them.  Whether the outcome is positive or negative, I watch it.  The most common response I get from my husband is "How can you watch that!?  It's so depressing!"  I understand that often the stories are sad, even if things turn out alright.  But I am someone who wants to know whats possible.  Even the most obscure diseases and conditions can strike anyone at anytime.  Now, I may not know if I or someone I love gets one of these conditions even if I've seen something about it, but I'll eventually remember it. 

I work under the motto "Know all of the possibilities.  Expect nothing."  I started trying to live by this after having Bella.  I had expectations that were blown out of the water.  So, I feel it best to not expect anything but be prepared for anything instead.  This is another reason I like watching these shows.  I may never encounter any of these medical conditions, but I'll have heard of it if I do!  However, not all of these shows talk about obscure conditions and diseases.  There are tons of pregnancy, infant, and ER shows that talk about common conditions that people encounter everyday.  I think its a good idea to know about some of these things. 

Besides that, there are a lot of these stories that are inspirational.  If they can get through this, then so can you.  You can find the strength to get through the rough spots in your life because it can be done.  So many people survive common and obscure diseases and conditions everyday.  They find the strength to make it through.  I like seeing it happen.  It gives me faith and it makes me happy!  So, if you get some time, go watch Discovery Health.  See if you can catch an episode of Mystery Diagnosis or Untold Stories of the ER.  Or perhaps watch an episode of Birth Day or NICU.  It might not strike the same chord with you as it does with me, but you won't know unless you watch :).

No comments:

Post a Comment