Thursday, September 23, 2010

Learn how to take a chill pill

I'm a little confused.  So many third trimester symptoms have come to just hang out with me.  I can't tell how easily I tired out.  Then there's the massive heartburn.  And discomfort's always an issue.  All of these things help me not feel guilt when I bake.  I figure I deserve a treat if I don't feel well.  Makes sense, right?  But its got me wondering, how many women have a tumultuous second trimester? 

It is common for this to be the best, most exciting time of a pregnancy.  You're feeling great and you get to enjoy your newly large belly.  Sometimes you even get to start partying in anticipation of the new baby.  Of course, my favorite part was the 20 week sonogram.  However, this pregnancy isn't really giving me a resting period.  With Bella, I was always pretty comfortable.  I was super fortunate and didn't have morning sickness or growing pains.  I had some heartburn but that was the least of the symptoms I could have gotten.  At least, I think so.  This time around, the pregnancy isn't very textbook but in the other direction.  Instead of a picture perfect pregnancy, I'm enjoying all of the little aches and pains that can show up in a pregnancy. 

Of course, it can always be worse.  Don't ever think that it can't.  I'm pretty sure I'm fortunate enough to not have to worry about gestational diabetes or preeclampsia, thankfully.  Its the little stuff that nags you until you feel like you're just going crazy.  So, I'm on a small mission to find out the things that make me feel better.  So far, you have the obvious answers such as eating, resting, and drinking lots of water.  But I'm looking to add some other things to this list.  A pregnancy survival list if you will.  This list is going to come in handy even more so in December and January when I'm as big as a house and might really find it difficult to be comfortable. 

So, here's the beginning of my "Shut up and relax" list:

1) Go lay down. (duh)
2) Eat (or bake) a treat (whatever that may be for the day, i.e.: something Paula Deen makes).
3) Drink grape juice and pretend its that wine you crave so much.
4) Take Bella for a walk, even if its just around the house.
5) Stop doing house work for a few hours.  It'll be there when you get back.
6) Call a friend.  Seriously, it makes you feel better.
7) Watch Handy Manny with Bella.  You know you like it just as much as she does.
8) Go through the baby clothes.  No matter how tedious some people think it is, you know you love it.
Note: This list is tailored to the things that I love to do. It will need to be tailored to your own needs if you ever choose to make your own list.

1 comment:

Elle Fowler said...

Making lists helped me when I was in my first 4-5 months of morning sickness help. I listed every single thing I needed to do that day so I could see that I had crossed at least a few things off.

Post a Comment