Thursday, September 30, 2010

When you can't sleep

Last pregnancy, this wasn't quite an issue, but this time around, I am finding it hard to sleep through the night.  Yeah, I have to go to the bathroom at least once a night, but that's once.  I'm randomly waking up for an unknown reason.  Now, if I make the mistake of not turning over or getting up for no reason, it takes me around an hour to get back to sleep.  So what do I do to insure that I go back to sleep promptly to try to have enough energy to keep up with a near 1 year old?  This.

1) Again, don't get up and walk around unless you need to potty.  Get up, go, climb back into bed.

2) Roll over.  If you seemingly woke up for no reason, staying in the same position will probably become uncomfortable very quickly.

3) Keep a cup of water right next to your bed.  Take a drink and lay back down.  Many people get a dry mouth over night (especially when pregnant and your body goes through water like crazy) and drinking some water will help you not stay awake thinking of how thirsty you are.

4) Don't be afraid to add pillows to aid your sleeping position.  I only use one but could probably use more to help me be more comfortable.

5) Keep your eyes closed.  This is important.  It might just help you trick your body into thinking you never woke up.

6) If all else fails and you simply can't get a good nights sleep for days or even weeks then it starts to affect your daily life, don't be afraid to take some Benadryl.  It is a pregnancy safe medication (category B) that doesn't pose a risk to your baby (category A and B are safe, anything C or lower is not recommended).  In fact, taking it every once in a while to get a needed nights sleep is recommended by some doctors.  Getting sleep is just important for you as it is for your baby.  Just don't take it all the time and get to the point where you have to take it to go to sleep.  I don't recommend that.

At least one of these things usually works for me and keeps me from being up for an hour trying to fall back asleep.  Are there any tricks that work best for you?  I'm always taking new ideas to try, especially if they'll keep me from waking up in the first place :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment